More progress at the Bargaining Table
For the most up to date information visit the local website at ulga.ca
After a long break due to COVID and summer vacations, the ULGSA Bargaining Team held its third bargaining session—with PSAC support—with the University of Lethbridge on July 19th-21st. The Union Team is pleased to report that its first in-person bargaining session was very productive, building on advances made during previous virtual meetings.
By the end of the three days of negotiations, the Union had signed off on 5 more articles, three of which were new:
- Discipline [NEW] – The existing agreement has no discipline language, leaving members without standard protections. This new article will offer members standard protections consistent with the principles on natural justice.
- Information Sharing [NEW] – This new article provides the union with regular information about its ever-changing membership so that we will be in a better position to serve you.
- Union Representation and Activities [NEW] – This is a new article provides protections for participation in union activities as well as Union access to university services. Importantly, the Employer has agreed to provide the union with an office space at no cost.
- Grievance Procedures – This is a complete overhaul of the existing grievance article providing clear timelines for grievances and an easy 2 step process from grievance to arbitration.
- Remuneration – This is a slight revision and clarification of the existing article on the administration of pay.
We also made substantial progress on revisions to Articles on Definitions, Management Rights, and the Collective Agreement.
There is much left to negotiate, some of which may prove difficult. While it is important that we prepare for such difficulties, at this point, your Team remains hopeful in light of several productive bargaining sessions during which we have secured significant improvements to your Collective Agreement.
Dates for the next bargaining session have yet to be determined. We will provide another bargaining update following that session.
Your Graduate Student Employee Bargaining Team
Rachel Stark (PSAC Representative)
Silja Freitag (PSAC Researcher)
John Eustace (PSAC Negotiator)